Replacing CD Drive with DVD drive

Keith Clark keithclark at k-wbookworm.com
Thu May 13 19:08:01 UTC 2010

> What is the brand & model of the DVD reader (or is it a DVD burner)
> which you are installing?
>
> What is the brand etc of the CDROM you are replacing?

DVD is an HP Lightscribe
CD is a Argus

> Hold on here...we are getting into terminology hassles here....
>
> "DVD is still CS (cable select) on its own cable as master": why do you
> say it's "master"? Because it is at the end of theribbon cable?

DVD is master because the label on the cable says so, as does the BIOS.
It sees the drive fine.

> "HD is Master......": similar question- it is Master because the jumper
> is set to Master - and not CS - or it is CS and sitting at the end of
> the cable?

HD is Master because the label on the cable says so as well.  The BIOS
also sees the drive fine.

> It would be a lot easier if BOTH devices were configured the same - put
> BOTH as MASTER, on their own indivudual cables, using the* jumpers*.
> This will eliminate a variable out the equation.
>
> > Still it does not see the DVD
> >

> OK - a big question: is the CD or DVD you are putting into the drive a
> blank or does it have data/movie on it?

DVD has a movie DVD in it.

> (Another big queston: what happens when you put back the CDROM with
> EXACTLY same settings as you now have on the DVD and HD? Trying to see
> if the DVD unit is a bummer and needs to be taken back to the store.)

DVD drive is fine.  It works on another machine fine.  That machine runs
Ubuntu 10.04 as well.

Keith