PC does not recognize live CD

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu May 13 10:11:15 UTC 2010

On 13/05/10 17:37, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Robert Holtzman さんは書きました:
>
>> On Tue, 11 May 2010, chris wrote:
>>

>>> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 11:55 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>>

>>                  .........snip.........

>>> Short answer yes.  There are some very flaky brands out there.
>>> Generally Verbatim is ok, but I have come across some Verbatims that
>>> were manufactured by some other firm that were terrible
>>>

>> I have never had a problem with Sonys and generally stick to them.
>>

> I did try another brand (in this case "maxwell", that was the only one
> they had in the nearby store)
> Written at 8x speed.
> No improvement at all.
>
> The computer still does NOT boot from 9.10 or 10.04 live CDs, but it
> does from the 9.04 CD.
> This is not funny any more.
>
> No offense, but I have never seen any such egocentric behavior in any of
> my DOS, WIN, Mac machines over the past 25 years.
> What incomprehensible magic potion is required to work this miracle?

I did read some of the posts re this topic but not all and have already
forgotten what was actually said re your problem.

How about 'we' start again and see if this can be resolved? Are you
game? I assume, "Yes", so how about answering this question to start with:

If you take this non-booting Live CD of Lucid 10.04 to another computer,
*NOT* one of your computers but to a *friend's* place, does it boot on
his/her computer? But PLEASE do just this and don't just say that you
did when you hadn't done so - as one person who I was trying to help
told me a lie that he had but didn't and so wasted weeks of my time.
Take it to a computer store if you have to and see if it will boot on
one of their computers. The tech guy at the store will do this for you
if you ask him nicely (as long as you explain to him what is going on so
that he doesn't think that you are to put virii all over his HD(s) -
he'll most probably try it out on some computer being repaired so that
he can make some more money on the repair if he thinks that there is
some damage done by your CD :-) . As a control, take a couple of the
other CDs you have and put them thru that computer as well.

BC

--
ATTORNEY:  Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he
                    doesn't know about it until the next morning?