Replacing CD Drive with DVD drive

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu May 13 01:56:56 UTC 2010

On 13/05/10 11:41, Keith Clark wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:37 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

[pruned]

> If it is a new unit then it may need to be connected with an 80-wire
>> cable - is the cable the old 40-wire type or the 80-wire type (or is it
>> SATA)?

You haven't answered this question :-) .

If the HD is "old" and accepts the 40-wire doesn't mean that the new DVD
will accept and work OK with it.

>>    From the above I gather that you only have the one HD and that the ROM
>> is therefore the slave to it on the same cable (which plugs into the
>> motherboard). Is the HD configured as Cable select or Master? (Cable
>> select means the unit becomes either Master or Slave depending where on
>> the cable the unit is connected.) *OR* is the HD on its own cable and
>> the CD/DVD on a separate cable?
>>

> DVD drive is master and HD is slave on the same cable.

No - switch these around. The HD should "control" the CD/DVD not the
other way 'round. There is a reason for calling them Master and Slave
:-) . (The DMA of the HD is a lot faster than the CD/DVD and you want
the faster unit to be Master.)

But, hold on, you are now saying that they are Master and Slave whereas
before you were saying that the DVD was configured for Cable Select.

If BOTH HD and DVD are configured as Cable Select, then the one which is
connected at the END of the cable is the Master and the one connected to
the middle of the cable is the Slave.

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.