Replacing CD Drive with DVD drive

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu May 13 01:37:23 UTC 2010

On 13/05/10 07:10, Keith Clark wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 15:39 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 12/05/10 12:10, Keith Clark wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to replace a CD drive with a DVD drive but I'm not having
>>> much luck with it.
>>>
>>> It (Ubuntu 10.04) does not seem to see the drive, or at least it does
>>> not auto install it or mount it.
>>>
>>> I see no entries in my fstab regarding the drive (or even the old CD
>>> drive).
>>>
>>> I do have a /cdrom directory, and a /media/cdrom directory.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure where to go from here.
>>>

>> There really is no difference between a CDROM and a DVD reader, at least
>> not nowadays. The CD will read DVDs and vice-versa.
>>
>> The unit, just like an HD, has jumpers to configure it as either a
>> Master or Slave or for Cable Select. How is yours configured? Compare it
>> to the setting on the CDROM which you are replacing (I know, it means
>> removing the cover from the box....)
>>

> Yes, jumpers match.  The CDROM that is being replaced was on Cable
> Select.  I've set the DVD drive to match.
>

>> In /dev you should find some entries as symlinks (@cdrom, eg) which will
>> point at sr0 or sr1. The first, sr0, will be the CROM and sr1 will be
>> the DVD burner (assuming that you do have a burner installed).
>>

> In /dev all I have is sr0
>
> Here is my /etc/mtab with a disc in the drive:
>
> /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> none /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
> none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
> none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
> none /dev devtmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> none /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
> none /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> none /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
> binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev
> 0 0
> gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/keithclark/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
> rw,nosuid,nodev,user=keithclark 0 0
>
> I'm not sure what to try next.

OK, baby steps to start with... :-) .

Does the unit have power - is the power connector inserted properly?
When booting does the power light on the unit come on momentarily?

(When you boot, go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS is recognising the
unit.)

If it is a new unit then it may need to be connected with an 80-wire
cable - is the cable the old 40-wire type or the 80-wire type (or is it
SATA)?

 From the above I gather that you only have the one HD and that the ROM
is therefore the slave to it on the same cable (which plugs into the
motherboard). Is the HD configured as Cable select or Master? (Cable
select means the unit becomes either Master or Slave depending where on
the cable the unit is connected.) *OR* is the HD on its own cable and
the CD/DVD on a separate cable?

Oh, forgot the obvious question: are we dealing here with a desktop or a
laptop computer?

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.