Cannot boot from software RAID with 2TB disks

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu May 13 01:14:19 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, May 12, 2010 07:55 PM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> (sorry for sending this again, but I messed up the subject line in my previous message)
>
> On May 12, 2010, at 9:58 AM, ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
>>> What are my options? I'd appreciate any hints and help on how I can make this install work.
>>
>> Only one. Destroy and redo it. 2 disks mirrored for system and the other
>> three a raid5 to be used however you like.
>
> I just tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 onto a RAID1 with two disks. Same result. I still believe my problem is related to this:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670

Debian-installer behind the times. Phew, that's better than having a
messed up Ubuntu version of d-i.

> Any thoughts on how to fix this?

you could try booting up the LiveCD and then installing parted to create
a bios_boot partition for grub.

How did you partition the disks? Do you have room to create a bios_boot
partition for grub2? I suppose you always resize what's been installed
already if need be...