what means it that firefox keeps greying out?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed May 12 14:17:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >  i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
> > but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox
> > session suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive.  it
> > *appears* to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but
> > i've never seen this behaviour before on any distro.
> >
> >  in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
> > it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox.  in an extreme case,
> > i had to power down the entire machine and reboot.
> >
> >  anyone else seeing this?  thoughts?
>
> Whats your hardware profile like? a) FF is a resource hog b) To run
> resource intensive stuff like Firefox, Openoffice and/or Gnome for
> any length of time, you need more than 1G memory on recent Ubuntu
> (post 8.04). I'd suggest 4G, fast HDD, and decent cpu.
>
> I have found Google Chrome much less resource hungry.

  one of the first things i did was run "top" and, sure, the CPU usage
was pegged at 100%, but i've had the same thing happen on fedora and
i've never seen that behaviour of having the entire FF client go dim
like that.

  i have this running on a gateway NV 52 laptop with 4G of RAM.  not a
screamer by any stretch, but still adequate one would think.

rday