what means it that firefox keeps greying out?

Pat Brown pat.mysterywriter at gmail.com
Wed May 12 12:43:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>  i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session
> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive.  it *appears*
> to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen
> this behaviour before on any distro.
>
>  in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox.  in an extreme case, i
> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.
>
>  anyone else seeing this?  thoughts?

> Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
>            Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca

Mine does that all the time. I run System Monitor all the time and when that
happens I go to the monitor and Firefox is always hogging around 300 MB of
Memory and is Uninterruptable. I notice it happens more when I have Facebook
open. Since Facebook is a live feed, it updates constantly and I think
that's what hogs the memory.

I figured it was the low memory I have on my laptop. I have less than 500 MB
of Memory

Pat Brown

http://www.pabrown.ca
Award winning author of the L.A. crime novels.