what means it that firefox keeps greying out?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed May 12 10:30:59 UTC 2010

  i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session
suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive.  it *appears*
to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen
this behaviour before on any distro.

  in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox.  in an extreme case, i
had to power down the entire machine and reboot.

  anyone else seeing this?  thoughts?