10.04? No thanks, I give up!

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed May 12 09:15:37 UTC 2010

> Wouldn't an Open Source hardware (if such a thing existed) make things
> a lot easier on bugs for Linux users? Or, are those bugs really
> software bugs ? If I take the Mac platform, Apple builds its own
> machines and edit the soft with it. I do know that not releasing the
> low level firmware on parts to the Linux developers make it a lot
> harder to have a stable system.
> The point being that I would agree with you. I have lowered my
> expectations on new releases for next time :) Still though being
> grateful to be able to run such a great system as Ubuntu 10.0.4 which
> I think is full of promisses

Open Source Hardware, IE hardware with all the info printed out for
the public to use would really help a lot but it would not make it
perfect. Ever write a paper? Was it perfect and free of  typos and
other defects the first draft? How about the last draft, perfect?
Software is just like that but much harder because you have different
people writing each paragraph and then trying to make sure it all
comes together. Even if you do it just by yourself, being perfect is
hard.

Added to the problem is that almost no one has the same computer as
anyone else. We all have different CPUs, memory, motherboards, power
supplies, keyboards, mice, printers etc etc. Testing every combination
with every combination of software that a user might install is just
not possible for a small group of developers. Even MicroSoft can't do
it with their huge number of programmers and inside access to the
hardware details.

Apple gets it right because they know what their hardware will be.
This makes testing much much more simple. They also have a very
limited set of software apps to check and on top of that they have
only pros doing the programming. This is a great way to go, if you
want to PAY for it.

Open source on the other  hand is free and in no money and free as in
freedom to change it as you like. It is made buy a LOT of people doing
what they love and making what they would love to see. It is often not
perfect but it is often very innovative. Perfection comes with time as
1000s of users use the programs and report bugs or even fix the bugs
and share the results with the programmers. As strange as it may seem,
this system is resulting in software that is far better than most
anything you can pay for but it takes time to get there.

The base linux system is VERY good. If you want to use a distro that
only uses very old and very tested software, you can. It is out there!
Debian stable is one and it even looks a lot like Ubuntu and then
there are the old standards like Slackware. Thing is most of use
really like having a system that is cutting edge, cool and easy to
use. This is  what Ubuntu is.

If you want Ubuntu to be better, jump in, fix bugs, report bugs or
help others have a great system by doing something like documentation,
art, PR or even helping with sound. There are jobs for all in the open
source world!

Stop complaining, step up and DO something, even if that means
changing to a distro that fits  your needs better. The world of open
source has it all. Check out Distrowatch.com for info on other systems
and read there news letters.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Massagen Arbeit in Gelsenkirchen Buer