Ubuntu client authentication using Ubuntu (ebox) - Samba Server as pdc

Arun Shrimali arun.reso at gmail.com
Wed May 12 06:12:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Christopher Chan <
christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:46 PM, Arun Shrimali wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso at gmail.com
> > <mailto:arun.reso at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi, i need some help.
> >     I have a lan with some pc working as clients.
> >     Server is running on ebox 1.4 and Samba as pdc.
> >     I have a domain and xp clients using accounts from the samba server
> >     working perfectly.
> >     I replaced xp with ubuntu 9.10 in some clients, but i don't know how
> >     to force ubuntu clients to authenticate thrugh samba - server, like
> >     win-xp.  and use the user/password and profile as defined at ebox
> >     server.
> >
> >     arun
> >

> > This means that ubuntu does not have the perfect client application for
> > the Samba PDC. Where as Windows works perfectly as client to samba ??
> >

> I guess Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (yoohoo, many of those around?) since
> Samba only supports the NT domain model...but you have already got XP
> clients working so why are you asking?
>
> Making the Ubuntu clients authenticate through samba should be easy
> enough...just set up local samba for  bdc, winbind or pam_smbpass?

Thanks for the time. But could not get any 'howto' on howto configure Ubuntu
client to authenticate Samba on the logon itself (means while starting a
Ubuntu client / PC, user should directly login to the samba pdc) and can get
mapped their home directory and profile.

Can you please me in step by step setup or just provide the link for the
same.

Arun