Replacing CD Drive with DVD drive

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed May 12 05:39:46 UTC 2010

On 12/05/10 12:10, Keith Clark wrote:
> I'm trying to replace a CD drive with a DVD drive but I'm not having
> much luck with it.
>
> It (Ubuntu 10.04) does not seem to see the drive, or at least it does
> not auto install it or mount it.
>
> I see no entries in my fstab regarding the drive (or even the old CD
> drive).
>
> I do have a /cdrom directory, and a /media/cdrom directory.
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here.

There really is no difference between a CDROM and a DVD reader, at least
not nowadays. The CD will read DVDs and vice-versa.

The unit, just like an HD, has jumpers to configure it as either a
Master or Slave or for Cable Select. How is yours configured? Compare it
to the setting on the CDROM which you are replacing (I know, it means
removing the cover from the box....)

In /dev you should find some entries as symlinks (@cdrom, eg) which will
point at sr0 or sr1. The first, sr0, will be the CROM and sr1 will be
the DVD burner (assuming that you do have a burner installed).

Re fstab: you will not find an entry there for the CDROM or DVDRW - when
you insert an CD/DVD an entry will appear in mtab showing that the drive
was mounted.

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.