10.04? No thanks, I give up!

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed May 12 02:33:57 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:12 AM, chris wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 08:59 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:30 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> It isn't meaningless.  It just has a meaning that people don't expect
>>> and /doesn't/ have the meaning they /do/ expect.  Nowhere does it claim
>>> to be bugless or stable.
>>>

>> Come right up! We be walking in the paths of the proven and glorious and
>> successful Microsoft! This be Linux for the masses just like Windows is
>> for the masses!
>>
> I assume that this was tongue in check.  :-)

Oops, I forgot to keep my tongue in check. But it is tongue in cheek. :-p

> <snip>
>>
>> If you cannot be bothered to ensure that it is free of bugs causing
>> major problems be it data loss or usability, then I am not interested.
>
>> We don't claim bugless or stability. You call that an excuse?
>>

> I have to agree with you, with one provisio. I have used Ubuntu since
> its first releases, and indeed some of my clients are still using 6.04
> with no issues.

Well, I tried 7.04 and boy was it a disaster. /me stomps on Network Manager.

> 8.04 never gave me an issue, but since then, their "must" release cycle
> has simply meant things have consistently gone down hill.

I still have issues with 8.04 but they are not major problems. You'd
think that they would consider dbus issues in KDE something worth
fixing...I just have to wait for a timeout before I see a file dialog
for anything GNOME. But yeah, it is stable for the most part. Some LTS.
I had to do my own patching of Kopete for Yahoo support.

> I find Debian Lenny is stable bug free and does every thing I want.
> Also PCLinux os, which is an rpm based distro.
>
> I don't know how we get the point across to Shuttleworth and co, that
> what the bulk of users; ie  not ubber geeks, require, is stable sound
> software that performs as it should.  Having to spend three months
> triaging a system that is faulty to make it stable is not an option for
> most.

Heh. Guess why I intend to wait for three months before even trying
Lucid? I'm not even going to try Karmic.

> The other thing that is bugging the ^&*(*&^ out of my client base is
> that fact that Ubuntu dropped support for dial up.
> A significant number of my clients use dial up.

Yet another case of community and 'community'.

> This is very easy to set up in Debian, and Pc linux os, where as under
> Ubuntu you need access to the internet to download the files needed to
> set up dial up.  How can you do that with out internet access?
> Frankly these frustrations are forcing me to move to another distro.

Well, I have given up on ever rolling out Linux desktops over here.
Promethean has decided to go with Ubuntu but I sure ain't going to
suggest rolling out trial Ubuntu desktops again with these sort of
things going on.