Strange LAN Behavior

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue May 11 23:30:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Mike A <mlnx at mho.com> wrote:
> I have a LAN with 2 linux, 2 Windows, a printer , and a NAS
> adapter/disk.  The NAS is essentially a windows/samba share.  My machine
> also has a USB drive that I share via Samba. The problem is that
> sometimes my machine doesn't show up and therefore neither does the the
> USB drive.  When I notice that this has happened, I reboot my linux box
> and all is well again.

There's no reason to reboot.  I'm not sure why your linux computer doesn't show up - is it sleeping? Or is that USB drive going to sleep and thus disappearing?  Looking at the logs in /var may give a clue.  Samba works on broadcasting shares, so if your machine sleeps it may be a while before the share is broadcast again.  The next time you see that, try alt-f2 and type 'gksu service smb restart'  That's a lot less disruptive....

> Also a curiosity, when I bring up Network Servers on my machine(linux),
> I see all the nodes and a Windows Network folder containing a Workgroup
> folder. If I open the Wrokgroup folder the nodes appear again.  What the
> significance of appearing twice.  Window machines only show them once.

Windows only shows you shares that are in the workgroup your computer is assigned to.
Ubuntu will show those shares at the root level regardless of the workgroup.  It also shows the workgroup and the shares in it.  In other words, it will show more than one workgroup where Windows won't.  It's showing you the same shares twice.
--
Hey, it's your computer.... isn't it?