/home/karl/

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 21:11:04 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 01:31 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 11 May 2010 22:27, Karl Larsen<klarsen1 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>>      In my quest to stop using a common partition for /home/karl/ I
>> tried to put all of /karl/ in the same partition as the one 10.04 has
>> failed. I tried $du -h on /home/karl/ and get 33 GB :-P
>>
>>      This larger than the entire partition for 10.04 system. I think I
>> need to take /home/karl/Desktop out first and then see if it will work.
>> This IS harder than I thought.
>>

> You might be able to reduce your home directory's size with a simple command:
> $ sudo rm -R *
>
> NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS!!!
> I mention it to illustrate the danger of simply blindly running
> commands on your computer. A recent thread had a similarly dangerous
> "solution" to a similarly simple problem.

     Yes any rm -R is dangerous :-)

     But the problems found will take some time to figure out. I
discovered the files that start with a "." which are sure to be a
necessary thing for a /home/karl/ is now 5.9 GB! This is because there
are those from several different versions of Ubuntu. This may not be
easy to make smaller :-(

     I am going to just let it simmer overnight and try again tomorrow.
I find now that I am 75 years old things move more slowly.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User