ok, got me a new kernel and some modules ... now what?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue May 11 13:46:17 UTC 2010

Quoting Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>
>>  i'm guessing what i'm about to ask is grub2-related.  after
>> configuring my kernel source tree (2.6.34-rc7), the resulting "make"
>> ran to completion, so i have a new kernel image and about a kajillion
>> module files ready to go.
>>
>>  from my fedora days, all i'd do then is just:
>>
>>  # make modules_install
>>  # make install
>>  # reboot
>>
>> which would install the kernel in /boot, the modules under
>> /lib/modules, and would update the grub config file.  however, this is
>> grub2, so i have no idea what the proper incantation is or whether the
>> kernel tree supports grub2 and the appropriate grub2 config file
>> updates.
>
> Run
> update-grub
> after
> make install

   sadly, that didn't work as well as it might have:

"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)"

that suggests the initrd image was not built properly?  and,
annoyingly, there is no timeout that allows me to select the original
kernel to boot.  time for a live CD and some repair, i guess.  not
like i haven't been down *this* road before.

rday