Update "fixed" 10.04

Rei Shinozuka shino at panix.com
Tue May 11 13:35:03 UTC 2010

Knock on wood.

My 10.04 worked "out of the box" although there were moments I though I
would have to downgrade back to 9.04.  I upgraded sooner than I normally
would have because I really wanted to get the latest digiKam (photo
software).

I'm running 64 bits, 4 CPU, 2 screen GeForce 9500, raid1 (mdadm)
filesystems.  Everything seems to work (knock on wood) scanners, webcam,
sound.

My philosophy on upgrading is to plan the retreat up front.  I split up
my boot drive into multiple 50 Gig partitions.  When I want to upgrade,
I duplicate my working partition onto a spare partition (using
sysrescuecd and partimage, restoring the uuid and updating grub by
hand), boot on the spare and upgrade that.  if it crashes and burns, i
have my original unmolested partition (plus an image file on a usb drive).

For many years, I've also created filesystems for home, data and local
(lately on mdadm raid 1 devices).  Lastly, I use NAS devices for photos
and music so they're not involved in upgrades at all.  I try to keep the
minimal amount of stuff on / so switching between root partitions is as
painfree as possible (since almost all of my partitions are upgrades of
one another, /etc/passwd, /etc/fstab, /etc/hosts etc are nominally
identical.)

I was getting the impression from this list that 10.04 was unusually
problematic, and wanted to communicate that this was not my experience.

Knock on wood.

-rei