Wiki recommendations -- Practical Experience

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Mon May 10 21:59:06 UTC 2010

Brian McKee wrote:

> Your requirements list looks kinda similar to something I need to do
> soon. Would appreciate you posting back what you decide and why.
>
> Brian

For those who are interested, I ended up with MoinMoin.  Here's why and
just a little about the experience:

The last two choices I considered were MediaWiki and Moin.  This was
because all of the suggestions have most of the same features and these
two are both mentioned in the Ubuntu Server Guide.  So I expected good
directions.

The over all requirement is a flexible and easy user interface.
MoinMoin promised a GUI editor as well as plugins to import and export
OO documents.  In addition, even though ease of installation was not a
primary factor, the in depth guides for Moin looked more
straightforward.  (Probably because I am clueless about mySQL)

MoinMoin installed out of the Repos well enough and the instructions for
configuration worked pretty well.  Problem is that the version in the
Karmic repos (1.8.4) does not have the functioning  GUI editor!  After
it was way too late, I found some instructions for upgrading in place.
Instead, I apt-get purged 1.8.4 and installed 1.9.2 from scratch.  At
this point, most everything works, though I am still learning about the
plugins etc.

If anyone wants to pursue this project, let me know and I can provide
some additional pointers.  (The moinmoin instructions are written by
python coders.  It all makes sense to them, but to a non-coder it can be
a challenge!)  If you post here and don't get an answer from me, try an
email to me direct.  This thread is already sort of buried.

--PE