10.04? No thanks, I give up!

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 19:18:01 UTC 2010

Edgars Šmits wrote:
> I finally give up on 10.04, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get
> my video output fixed. When last I wrote I was happily working away in
> the wonderful new 10.04 world (not an upgrade, a clean install), when
> after an upgrade Saturday I lost my video - all I could see was a
> white screen with vertical stripes. I received some advice as to how
> to fix this, none of it worked - I was even able to boot into a live
> 10.04 session if I used the "nomodeset" graphics option, but wasn't
> able to fix my problem. I don't quite understand how the new Grub2 is
> better than the old one - I can't access it by any known keyboard
> tricks that I know (tab, shift etc), and I can't manually edit it - I
> tried, and ended up in a memtest hell...
>
> Tonight I finally gave up and decided to do a new install from the
> Live disk using nomodeset, installed and rebooted like a trooper,
> started doing upgrades etc, and didn't even do a kernel or driver
> update when after a reboot I was back to a white screen, vertical
> stripes.
>
> I'm going back to 9.04 tomorrow, life's too short to waste screwing
> around with an OS, no matter how good it may be. I know I'm not the
> only one out there with a Radeon Xpress 200M card in a Dell Inspiron
> 1501 - there are lots of emails in the bug lists, but the bugs are all
> listed as closed. This latest attempt on my part was on a clean,
> vanilla install, so I know it's not something I've done, and if it is
> then Ubuntu is no where near ready for the big time. I've been a happy
> camper for over 5 years, sure, had some problems but usually I was
> able to sort them out with help from this list, but this time I give
> up. I don't want to be a computer geek, I just want to load an OS that
> works as I expect it to.
>
> just call me disgruntled...
>
> ED

	There is no law that says you must upgrade to 10.04! I have
10.04 but it is so buggy most of my hardware doesn't work on
10.04 so I type this on version 8.04 where ALL my hardware
worked, and still works.

	I will update my 10.04 but not use it until it works with all
my hardware. Enjoy 9.04 which I like too!

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User