recipe for building my own kernel for 10.04?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon May 10 19:17:19 UTC 2010

  since i prefer to build and run my own kernels (and i want to test a
few things like ftrace), is there a recipe for doing the kernel thing
for 10.04?

  i found something that looks good for a starting point here (ignore
the PPC component):

http://www.ppcnux.com/?q=node/7599

but i want to do things slightly differently.

  first, i suspect i'm good to use as a config file what's currently
in /boot/config-2.6.32-21-generic.  at the very least, that will
represent a fairly good starting point.

  next, i don't want to pull down the kernel source as a package, i
want to clone a git repo so i can keep up with current developments.
ideally, i'd like to use the main git repo at kernel.org, unless
ubuntu makes considerable changes to the stock kernel source.

  as an alternative, i found this:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git

where, if i had to guess, i'd guess i'd want to clone this:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=summary

making sense so far?  beyond that, i suspect just following the recipe
at that first link above should give me something that's minimally
bootable and i can take it from there.

  thoughts?

rday