10.04 successfull horror story

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon May 10 10:42:24 UTC 2010

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 10/05/10 18:29, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> >> Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  :

> >> And the supposed disaster of doing so would be......?
> >> I have never given advice to anyone unless I have done it "to
> >> myself"
> >
> > At least, you should have gave the advice to back those directories
> > up. Then if the "rm" solved it, give the advice to restore one by
> > one the important dot-dirs.
>
> You're right- I should have added "Reboot after doing the above".
>
> The directories are recreated when you reboot. The only thing missing
> are the items with which you populate the panels with.

I suppose they will be recrated when you relogin without a reboot as
well.

However if you remove the mentioned directories, you not only lose the
panel configuration but also the configuration of many other
applications. I don't think that is the intended effect. At least I
wouldn't be too happy if I followed your advice and lost the
configuration of Ekiga which seems to be stored in ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga/.

Nils