The best way to disable touchpad in Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 9 22:29:27 UTC 2010

On 05/09/2010 01:03 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On 05/09/2010 02:38 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>>> I wish that worked! It's still active and can't find a way to kill it!
>>>

>> After you removed package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, did you reboot?
>>

> Of course.
>
> Fred

Perhaps try reinstalling & then purging so that the config files are
also removed?

As a side note: I had similar issues on my HP G60-530 US notebook
whereby I could turn off the touchpad in Win7 but not in 9.10 or 10.04.
No matter what I tried, I couldn't turn it off.

I've honestly no clue how or why, but after some updates awhile back
(with xserver-xorg-input-synaptics installed) everything started to work
(in both 9.10 and 10.04). Of course I still have remember to turn off
the touchpad from the laptop touchpad button, but that's OK as I now
have the option to use it if I need to.

Anyway, good luck as it can indeed be frustrating to be doing something,
brush the touchpad & then find that you've just switched windows or
saved a file that you hadn't intended to save.

Check in launchpad for bugs related to your device is the only thing I
can think of. You of course know how to do that right?

<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ALPS+GlidePoint&field.actions.search=Search>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics>