Stability of ext4

sam tygier samtygier at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 9 19:08:22 UTC 2010

On 08/05/10 19:29, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> My question is this. Can I be sure that an ext4 partition made with the
> default options under 9.10, will be portable in the future among
> different versions of Ubuntu and among different Linux distributions?

ext4 has been marked 'stable' since 2008 so the on disk format will not change. ext4 partition you make now will be readable by any future linux kernel (until ext4 is considered obsolete). modern linux still reads back to ext2 (does anyone know about original ext?).

if new features were added that would change the format i imagine it would be called ext5, and have a migration path. though this is unlikely as focus is currently on BTRFS.

sam