4 GiB RAM Blues

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Sun May 9 17:35:51 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my RAM from 2x1GiB to 2x2GiB of RAM.

How do I make sure (K)ubuntu recognizes the whole amount?

My Setup:

An HP DX2300 Desktop running Kubuntu 8.04.3 LTS.

I'd like to upgrade to 10.04 LTS, so I have tried both 32Bit and 64 Bit
versions of the Kubuntu 10.04.

32Bit: Once loaded, I opened a Konsole window and typed 'top'  - gave my
~3500 total Kb total memory
64Bit: Same test gave my ~3200 Kb total memory...

I don't get it.... How can the 64Bit show less?

I told the computer store guy I'll check if it works on my machine and give
it back in case it doesn't.

BTW, the motherboard supports 667MHz maximum and the new DIMMs are 800MHz,
but it does show a total of 4096MB running @ 667MHz.

Can anyone help me make sure (K)ubuntu uses 4GiB RAM?

Thanks!

Amichai Rotman