how to trivially install sendmail to get fetchmail working?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri May 7 20:43:29 UTC 2010

    i *probably* know how to do the following, but i'll ask first to
make sure i don't screw something up royally.

    in order to turn my ubuntu 10.04 laptop into my primary system (for
now, at least), i want to copy over what i need from my fedora 12
system to get mail working.  i use alpine and fetchmail so, trivially,
i've already (on the ubuntu system):

* installed alpine and fetchmail
* copied over all of:
    * .fetchmailrc
    * .addressbook and .addressbook.lu
    * .pinerc
    * mbox
    * mail/

however, running fetchmail (as i do on the f12 system) gives me:

....fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [::1/25] failed:
Connection refused.
fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed:
Connection refused.
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed

    no surprise there, since sendmail isn't even installed.  on the
f12 system, i have:

$ ps -ef | grep sendmail
smmsp     1714     1  0 15:28 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: Queue
runner at 01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
root      1717     1  0 15:28 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: accepting
connections

so would simply installing sendmail on the ubuntu system, then
starting it, be sufficient?  i am by no means a sendmail expert -- i
don't recall if i ever messed with the sendmail config files on my
fedora system.

rday