Changing font size in consoles/terminals......

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri May 7 10:57:13 UTC 2010

....the console/terminal which you get when you press CTRL-ALT-F1 - F8.

I raised this subject round about 16 April, and after getting some
suggestions and reading info provided it was concluded that this was not
really possible - or at least it was possible to a limited degree (by
using console-setup).

Well, I did achieve what I wanted a short time ago - I got the small
font I wanted which allows me to fully read across the page output from
the cli "ps aux". This is what I always got when I was using openSUSE.
The size of the font is something akin to DeJaVu #9 or #10 font.

Getting this sized font is a piece of cake. Very simple to do.

But there is a teeeny-weeeny catch to it - which is where I submit the
following to all the kind readers of this forum to see how it can be
resolved.

To get the small font in the consoles (C-A-F1-8)  do this: in
/etc/default/grub file add "vga=0x348" to the following line so that it
reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vga=0x348"

After saving the altered file run "sudo update-grub", and then
reboot/restart the system. After booting, then doing C-A-F3 you will see
the small font in the console (and all other F1 -F8 consoles) which I am
used to. (During the boot you will see the splash screen "UBUNTU" in
letters of around 8mm high. Luvly.)

And now for the "gotcha".

This only works if you do NOT have the full nVidia driver (to get compiz
to work) installed :-( . It all works perfectly with the default nv driver.

Install the nVidia driver (currently #195) and you get some weird chars.
spread across the screen when you are are booting or when you press
C-A-F3, say.

Anyone have any ideas, please, how this could be overcome so that a
terminal window will come up with the small font?

(If you do enable the small font in a terminal (C-A-F3), enter "ps aux"
on the command line and then see how well you can read what comes up on
the screen; then compare this to what you now get with the default
Ubuntu font.)

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei