Wiki recommendations -- Practical Experience

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Thu May 6 16:32:55 UTC 2010

Dave Howorth wrote:
> Just a couple of comments:
>
> p.echols at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> MediaWiki : Looks like it may be overkill, and I did not find any info about exporting:
>>

> This will do what you want and probably has the largest set of plugins
> etc. For example, I just typed "mediawiki pdf export" into google and
> the first hit is "Extension:Pdf Export - MediaWiki"
> <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Pdf_Export>
>
> I use MediaWiki for a personal notebook and you can just ignore all of
> the extras that you're not using. Equally you can get as
> sophisticated/detailed as you need or want.

This is a great discussion and thanks to all who have contributed.  (Not
trying to cut anyone off, just thanks!)

A question about MediaWiki if you don't mind.  For testing purposes, I'm
not concerned about backups.  But obviously that is a concern before
production work gets done the wiki. I am not familiar with mySql
backups.  Is that difficult or a concern?  (MoinMoin is not database
driven so you just back up the directory, like anything else.)

I have gotten down to two candidates for testing, mediawiki and
moinmoin.  My intention is to install one or the other this weekend for
my own testing, and, if I am satisfied, show it to the decision maker.
Some folks have asked that I get back with why I chose one over
another.  I'll respond to that after a final decision.

Thanks again

--PE