apt-get upgrade and grub issue

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu May 6 11:19:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 08:14:38PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> > I have a freshly installed 10.4 instance on a lab machine. I installed it
> > from the CD. Then I did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade yesterday, or
> > so. Today I tried to do that again, and now I have a problem. I am being
> > prompted with a message that says:
> >
> > ??You chose not to install GRUB to any devices. ??If you continue, the boot
> > ?????
> > ????? loader may not be properly configured, and when your
> > ??computer next ?? ?? ?? ?????
> > ?? ??? starts up it will use whatever was previously in the boot
> > ?? sector. ??If ?? ?? ???
> > ?? ?? ?? ????? there is an earlier version of GRUB 2 in the boot sector,
> > ?? ?? ?? ??it may be ?? ?? ?? ???
> > ?? ?? ?? ?? ??? unable to load modules or handle the current
> > ?? ?? ?? ?? configuration file.
> >
> > But answering NO, just brings me back to the same prompt.
> >
> > What should I do?
>
> Do you have a bootloader - grub2, grub1, lilo - installed?

It's a brand new plain vanila install, that I did from scratch .
So, I am assuming that the current default is grub2, right?
This machine was not upgraded, or anything like that, it was just
installed from teh CD, with all defaults, and apt-get updatetd
a time or two, and yesterday morning, when I went to do another
apt-get upgrade, I ran in to this issue.

How can I check to see what bootloader is installed?

I have  left this machine at this prompt, as I really don't
want to have to rebuild it from scratch, as i have 3+ days of setup
invested in it at this point in time.