grub sees 2 out of 3 systems...lucky me

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu May 6 03:31:08 UTC 2010

On 05/06/2010 08:32 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 2010, Goh Lip wrote:

>> Bob, you've other /boot for other OS; you're sure (hd0,5) (and is
>> actually sda6) is /boot for 8.04 and not other OS? AND UUID is for sda6
>> and not sda5? Just making sure.
>
> I think I've covered the possibilities when I tried all the values for x
> in (h0,x).
>
> I think we have some miscommunication. This is my HD layout:
>
> /dev/sda1......8.04 /
> /dev/sda2......extended partition
> /dev/sda3......nonexistant
> /dev/sda4......nonexistant
> /dev/sda5......swap
> /dev/sda6......8.04 /boot
> /dev/sda7......8.04 /home
> /dev/sda8......9.04 /
> /dev/sda9......9.04 /boot
> /dev/sda10.....9.04 /home
> /dev/sda11.....debian /
> /dev/sda12.....debian /boot
> /dev/sda13.....debian /usr (done on a whim)
> /dev/sda13.....debian /home
>
> sda3&  4 being nonexistent is left over from the very first ever Ubuntu
> install. Can't account for it.
>
> 9.04 is what I'm trying to boot, not 8.04. Sorry if I wasn't clear about
> that.

To recheck that the /boot and the corresponding kernels
You can use the find command
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

and the kernel command
grub> kernel (hd0,x)/boot/

refer
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-tutorials-howtos-reference-material/6527-howto-solve-boot-problems-grub.html

To boot 9.04, then the following should be the menu entry
root (hd0,8)
kernel  /vmlinuz-2.6.24-27-generic root=UUID=<xxxx of sda9> ro
initrd	/initrd.img-2.6.24-27-generic

*OR*
root (hd0,7)
kernel  /vmlinuz root=UUID=<xxxx of sda8> ro
initrd	/initrd.img

### Note: to avoid typing UUID error, you can use ####

root (hd0,8)
kernel  /vmlinuz-2.6.24-27-generic root=/dev/sda9 ro
initrd	/initrd.img-2.6.24-27-generic

*OR*
root (hd0,7)
kernel  /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 ro
initrd	/initrd.img

> One thing I wonder about is whether there is a good way of telling in what
> order the partitions appear on the HD. The (h0,x) refers to a position on
> the drive which may or may not be the sdax+1 partition. That's in
> accordance with my limited understanding.

(hd0,x) is always sdax+1

but your partitions may not necessary be in sequence, but don't worry
about that now.

Regards - Goh Lip