Lucid: Thunderbird crashes

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu May 6 02:58:20 UTC 2010

On 06/05/10 11:05, maliron wrote:

> Karl Larsen-2 wrote:
>
>> On 05/05/2010 12:17 AM, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
>>
>>> I just updated to Lucid (10.04) last weekend. Now, Thunderbird crashes
>>> every day (usually in the night when I am sleeping).
>>>
>>> I run it from the terminal:
>>> thomas at AMD64:~$ thunderbird
>>> deliver mode: 0
>>> Segmentation fault
>>>
>>> Only "Segmentation fault" as an output, not a big help.
>>>
>>> Here the details about my version:
>>> thomas at AMD64:~$ uname -a
>>> Linux AMD64 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:09:38 UTC
>>> 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>> thomas at AMD64:~$ lsb_release -a
>>> No LSB modules are available.
>>> Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
>>> Release:	10.04
>>> Codename:	lucid
>>>

>>       What happened I think was the old thunderbird setup was not good
>> for the new version. Also you should not run it from a terminal. That is
>> not good.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> 	Linux User
>> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>           Key ID = 3951B48D
>>

>> --
>>

> I think he was just running from the terminal so he could see if there were
> debug messages displayed.
>
> I am having the same issue, and when it crashes it shows nothing, it's just
> gone. At first I thought I might have been closing it by accident, but it
> happens more and more now. I'll be working away and go to click on
> thunderbird to send an email and it's just not there, just disappeared
> without a word and I have to reopen it.

This has also happened to me twice in the past couple of weeks or so -
TB 3.0.4 suddenly disappears when I was closing a message or something,
cannot remember.

The same occurred to my wife but she has a totally different Linux
distro installed (not K/Ubuntu, and with KDE) with TB 3.0.4.

A couple of random incidents don't help in trying to pinpoint where the
problem lies but at least it is pointing at v3.0.4 or something
associated with it. (?Isn't TB Gnome-based?)

>   I did migrate from a previous
> thunderbird install so the config thing makes sense.

I have been using the same TB profile for several years+ in each of the
versions of Linux distros I have been trying/using; all I do is to copy
both ~/.mozilla and ~/.thunderbird over to either an external drive or
(nowadays) to a flash drive and then copy both into the new
installation. Meaning, that doing so is not the reason for TB suddenly
disappearing.

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei