undo LVM?

Herman Aalderink n0jn at gmx.net
Wed May 5 06:22:27 UTC 2010

my progress-report on fighting my LVM 'encrypted' harddisks.

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 15:15 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:

> >> During install of 10.04 Alternate 64 I used LVM. The install was not completed.
> >>  Now all 3 drives (in 2 'logical volume groups') are gone.
> >
> > Because the Ubunty 10.4LTS did not finish, I doubt I can get the LVM
> > system working. (I'll try, after trying RESCUE).
> > The problem might be limited to Grub.
> > Grub (I think Grub2) comes up with an error.
> >
> > To have email (to reach this list) I installed a new 10.04.

> > But I lost a lot of interesting notes, incl. all my recent Linux notes
> > gathered from this list.
> >
> >> Gparted reported:
> >>  Flags: lvm

> > I tried Puppy Linux. I have no access.

> > It's frustrating. All the stuff is there in good order.
> > But I cannot get to it.
> >
> > Herman in Philippines.
>
> I use this doc for LVM
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/commontask.html
>
> If you use RAID and LVM (do you?), this one is also a help (chapter 11
> RAID and LVM)

no RAID used, only lvm.

> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html
> that now point to the wiki
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid
>
> None of those have something specific about LVM recover, except
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/recovermetadata.html
>
> but a web search will find a lot of that, like
> http://www.webupd8.org/2010/02/how-to-recover-lvm-partition-on-damaged.html
> that recommends to try
> $ lvchange -ay
> If you don't have badblocks (I think you don't) that page may help,

relatively new setup. No bad blocks afaik,

> and there are much others:
> http://codeworks.gnomedia.com/archives/2005/general/lvm_recovery/
> I googled for "LVM recover"
>
> Sorry I myself can't be a better help. Please do report back your efforts.
> Regards
> Luis

Thanks a load Luis!! Without your help I would still be in the dark.
Did not get very far yet (have limited time).
But I got this :   (I keep on digging)

My progress notes:

Try to get some kind of reaction:
I need the name of the vg (Volume Group)

Try: change name of a vg (Volume Group)

hermanbb at tabang1:~$ sudo vgchange -a n my_volume_group

  Volume group "my_volume_group" not found
hermanbb at tabang1:~$

------
11.6. Removing physical volumes from a volume group

Make sure that the physical volume isn't used by any logical volumes by
using then 'pvdisplay' command:

hermanbb at tabang1:~$ pvdisplay /dev/hda1
  WARNING: Running as a non-root user. Functionality may be unavailable.
  /var/lock/lvm/P_global:aux: open failed: Permission denied
  Unable to obtain global lock.
hermanbb at tabang1:~$ sudo pvdisplay /dev/hda1
  Failed to read physical volume "/dev/hda1"

hermanbb at tabang1:~$ sudo pvdisplay /dev/sda1
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda1
  VG Name               hill60
  PV Size               10.73 GiB / not usable 1.75 MiB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              2747
  Free PE               2747
  Allocated PE          0
  PV UUID               f7Fgea-Xu0E-LHF6-kGdp-2rcj-hrOo-t1Ycbv

hermanbb at tabang1:~$

hermanbb at tabang1:~$ sudo pvdisplay /dev/sda2
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda2
  VG Name               hill60
  PV Size               20.56 GiB / not usable 1.94 MiB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              5263
  Free PE               5263
  Allocated PE          0
  PV UUID               Aox1WK-PJtk-ffGX-A4we-ra2W-nyyT-3OHXYT

hermanbb at tabang1:~$

hermanbb at tabang1:~$ sudo pvdisplay /dev/sda3
  Failed to read physical volume "/dev/sda3"
hermanbb at tabang1:~$

not far yet ...... BUT IT'S A START !!

My Thanks to Luis!

Herman in Philippines.