Opening a set of apps

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue May 4 22:06:28 UTC 2010

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/03/2010 02:04 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> System|Preferences|Startup Applications|Startup Programs|Add
>>> to have the app start on startup (for example I always open Nautilus on
>>> my primary work machine). Position how you wish, close the other
>>> applications that you don't want to open on startup&   then:
>>> System|Preferences|Startup Applications|Options|'Remember Currently
>>> Running Application'
>>> Logout.
>>>
>>> If that is screwed up when you restart/login, then the easiest way to go
>>> back (I've found) is to remove the most current session state file in:
>>> /home/<username>/.config/session-state
>>>

>> NoOP,
>>
>> Like I mentioned to Chris, my bad. I should have been more clear.  I
>> wasn't looking for a way to launch programs at start up.  I would like
>> to be able to click on a menu entry (or panel launcher) and open and
>> position a group of programs I use for a specific task.
>>
>> Thanks,  Jim
>>

> Bit dated, but I couldn't find a more recent version:
>[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/user-guide/C/launchers.html
>[2] <http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-0.9.4.html>
> Newer of the last are here:
>[3] http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/
>[4] <http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-1.1.html>
> I suspect that much of the info is still the same for the newer ubuntu's.

Thanks for the links.

I recognize [1] having used it to set up a couple of launchers awhile ago.

I wonder if the info at [4] is still the same, though I am probably not
the one to determine that.  I read through the info there.  The basic
idea seems to be similar to other config files I have seen.  After
reading the page I realized I didn't know where to put the file if I
created it.

I decided to see if I could find any actual .desktop files on my system.

jfb at jfb-ubuntu64:~$ locate *.desktop
/etc/skel/examples.desktop
/home/jfb/examples.desktop

I used Nautilus and went to /home/jfb/ expecting to find
examples.desktop.  Instead I found Examples with a type of 'desktop
configuration file'. Double clicking it lead to
/usr/share/example-content which contained various OO doc files and some
image files. Not what I expected, I was hoping to get a look at a real
desktop config file as mentioned on the website.

Regards,  Jim