grub sees 2 out of 3 systems...lucky me

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Mon May 3 05:59:52 UTC 2010

On 05/03/2010 01:19 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 2010, Goh Lip wrote:
>
>> On 05/02/2010 04:45 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>
>> The following might explain....
>>
>>> o If root and UUID are both pointed to '/' instead of /boot,(but your
>>> (hd0,5) is /boot, Bob, watch for it), the lines
>>> 'kernel /vmlinuz ro ' and
>>> 'initrd  /initrd.img' can be used
>>>
>>> instead of
>>> 'kernel  /vmlinuz-2.6.28-18-generic' and
>>> 'initrd        /initrd.img-2.6.28-18-generic'
>>>
>>> as the former refer to the syslinks in '/'
>>> and the latter refer to the actual kernel and initrd.img in /boot.
>
> Am I misreading this or did you get "former" and "latter" interchanged
> in that last line?

You are reading correctly, no errors
/vmlinuz ro, /initrd.img (only syslinks) is in '/'
/vmlinuz-2.6.28-18-generic, /initrd.img-2.6.28-18-generic is in /boot

> Also, since there is more than one kernel and image, wouldn't the
> entire designation have to be shown, ie /vmlinuz-2.6.28-18-generic and
> /initrd.img-2.6.28-18-generic?

initram creates syslink, renames them without entire designation and put
them in '/' from /boot

>> I append below the last entry from my hardy both from the menu.lst
>> and the current entry from the grub.cfg, also from hardy.
>

>> title		Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-24-generic
>> root		(hd0,7)
>> kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-24-generic
>> root=UUID=ac709ece-0f4d-4845-8b47-508030ceeb00 ro quiet splash
>> initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic
>> quiet
>
> Just tried adding /boot to the kernel and initrd lines with no other
> changes. Before I did that the boot sequence would start and hang with
> (initramfs)_. Afterward it went right back to "files not found" error.
> Deleted /boot from the two lines and it went back to initiating the boot
> sequence and hanging up. Did I leave something out?

You said you always create separate /boot partitions for all your OS,
therefore your menu.lst must never have the /boot/xxxxxxx in it; whether
you 'target' the '/' or the '/boot' as the root (hd0,x).

You must make up your mind if you want to target '/' or '/boot' and
either case make the root (hd0,x) and UUID are consistent, making sure
it's referring to the same partition. Either will work. Just watch out
for syslink shortcuts or entire designation. AFAIK, when generating
menu.lst, grub-legacy targets the /boot.

> Unless you (or anyone else on the list) have any ideas, words of wisdom,
> stray thoughts I may try the M$fix and reinstall 9.04, maybe running
> update-grub from the live CD.

The grub2 rescue cd will boot up all OS, whether windows or linux,
grub-legacy or grub2. You can then sort yourself out in the OS. let me
know if you want it.

Regards - Goh Lip