MP3 played out of the box

archayl archayl at gmail.com
Mon May 3 05:36:36 UTC 2010

Hi all,

This is one thing that bugs me. I installed Lucid as fresh installation.
As soon as I got on the completed installation, I played an mp3 file
from my collection. I'd expect that it prompts me to download mp3 codec,
gstreamer that is. Instead, it played the file directly, without any
prompt. But it played as streaming media, not navigable using the
timeline scrollbar. Owh, by the way, I played it using Totem.

Ubuntu should not have supported mp3 out of the box, as long as the
patent remains alive. That is what I know. But in my case, it's bit
different. It played the mp3 with some caveat. I tested it with all my
mp3 collections (randomly). There's no chance that all the mp3 is not a
real mp3 file. After the installation of gstreamer support for mp3
(manually), the file played properly, along with scrollable timeline.

[1] depicts the situation in a screen capture I did. This is not in vm,
it's a real PC. Can anyone help clarify on this? If there anyone else
can reproduce this?

1.Install Lucid as fresh installation
2.Play an mp3 file.

[1] http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6622/screenshotjd.png