Connecting

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Mon May 3 02:37:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Bob <bob at theoriginalgrassmasters.com> wrote:
> I have ubuntu 9.10 set up and running, webmin set up, stupid question but
> how do I link all my pc's in my house to server and set up for auto back up?
>
> Still a newbie!
>
> Bob

For automatic backup of linux and windows client I like, and recommend backuppc
$ sudo apt-get install backuppc

Backs up windows clients with samba, and linux clients with rsync and
ssh (but other methods are available).
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#step_5__client_setup

After you set samba and your windows machines connects to the linux
backup server, backing up with samba is easy. There are ways to use
rsync with windows too, to make backups faster. Didn't tried it.

For linux you'll have to set ssh (install, generate keys,
ssh-copy-id,...). Nothing very complicated, when you get the private
and public key thing.

Have full and incremental backups, use compression and a hardlink
method to save space (if you backup several machines with the same
OS/data, you save a lot of space). It is not directed for tapes and
rotating backups.
You may choose to backup everything, or just what you choose to.

The backup (pool) is by default created at /var/lib/backuppc directory
on the server, which of course can be a mount point (a local
partition, lvm/raid, a external disk, ...).

It has a GUI for configuration, management, restore and report, so
you'll need apache if you want to use it. And you do :)

Docs at
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

and good mailing-list for users at
backuppc-users at lists.sourceforge.net

That said, other very good backup applications exist.
Regards
Luis