GRUB problem after upgrading to 10.04

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun May 2 19:13:54 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 2010 13:36:50 -0400
> Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Pre-Karmic running grub-install on a partition would fail. I think (I
>> have not tried it since October 2009 this is what I understand from
>> posts here) that you now can but get a warning message.
>>
> No, Tom. I had been installing OS grub to its own partition both in
> grub-legacy and grub2 for some time now, as I had a separate grub
> partition. And yes, grub2 warning is particularly severe.
>
> The main thing is that there must be one grub that must be "set" to mbr
> and/or the separate hard drive or external and that is always /dev/sda
> and/or /dev/sdc never /dev/sda3 or /dev/sdc1.

By pre-Karmic, I meant grub2 pre-Karmic (the Karmic alphas and betas)
not grub1. Sorry about the lack of precision in the expression!

When I run dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc", I have the options to install
grub to /dev/sda and /dev/sda1. I do not have a test install on which
to try it but, if I choose /dev/sda1, will it fail or will I just get
a warning that it is a bad thing before it is executed?