Alsa/Sound/ in 10.04

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun May 2 15:18:59 UTC 2010

On 02/05/10 22:45, zongo saiba wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 15:02 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 05/01/2010 05:13 AM, zongo saiba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I have upgraded my box to 10.04 and the sound is broke now. Plus,
>>> upgrading sent me back to also 1.0.21. I was on 1.0.22 on 9.10.
>>> Nevertheless, when I updated my also in 9.10, this command-line
>>> sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop worked. Now, in 10.04 i get command not
>>> found. Anyone has any idea why?
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> Zongo
>>>

>> I had this issue rebuilding an 8.04 for a friend. This helped:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
>> Turned out that the sound modules weren't getting loaded, so I used the
>> suggested: "Do you have the sound modules installed?"
>>

> Two things:
>
> 1 - I have upgraded to 10.04 and tried to upgrade alsa 1.0.23 -->
> Every-time I reboot, I freeze. I have checked all the logs and nothing
> really tells me that there is any issue anywhere. Plus, the Jack is
> definitely not working anymore under 10.0.4.
> 2 - I reverted back to Alsa 1.0.22 and now I do not freeze anymore but
> the Jack is still not working.
>
> I would be interested to know if anyone has an issue with freeze and
> sound; in particular with the Jack under 10.0.4 and Alsa 1.0.23.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Zongo

I don't know if this will be of any help, but it may.

I originally installed Lucid Beta2 and then kept upgrading it until I
had the final release of 10.04.

The sound (with Soundblaster) was working perfectly.

Today, however, I decided that I will install 10.04 as a new install,
completely from scratch.

I had no sound. Alsamixer was installed but it was not behaving as it
normally does.

I spent around 30 minutes stuffing around trying to work out why I had
no sound - and then it "hit me": 10.04 by default installed Pulse Audio!

Got rid of all Pulse Audio rubbish and got my sound back.

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei