Lucid LiveCD

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Sun May 2 04:40:58 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Since Karmic, I can't help but go Alternate. Desktop CD partition
>> editor will find only one of my two disks.
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/461470
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/556225
>
> Not sure whether this will help with 556225 but 461470 looks like the
> dmraid problem that came up a while ago.
>
> If you boot the live CD with "nodmraid" and uninstall dmraid before
> installing Ubuntu, your disks will be detected singly.

Regarding the issue I observed, it was just a question of detecting
the hard drives properly (one SATA and one PATA) no raid needed. In my
hardware (plain vanilla) at least, the specific Live CD partition
manager (can't remember the name) fails since Karmic. It should be
noted however, that GParted in the same CDs detects correctly the HW
config and also the partition manager in the Alternate CDs, no
parameters tweaking needed.

Perhaps for different reasons, I have to agree with Karl that the
Ubuntu Live CD needs some refurbishing, specially because for a
newbie, it is the main entrance door to Ubuntu.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W