Installation problem

Alan Duval amoht at westnet.com.au
Sat May 1 04:38:54 UTC 2010

Message: 5 Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:38:53 -0300 From: Lucio M Nicolosi
<lmnicolosi at gmail.com> Subject: Re: Installation problem To: "Ubuntu
user technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID:
<h2yfbeb50321004282138pf1880cf0q981a505d02f96f3d at mail.gmail.com>

http://www.google.com/search?hl=pt-BR&q=ASUS+M3A+linux+compatibility+bug&lr=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

>> for issues concerning your MB.

>> Or try to install the latest version of a Linux release (say Lucid,
>> why not, still a lot of bugs, but very nice) that should have the
>> latest drives available.

>> If not a driver issue, then: could it be the processor's fault? Does
>> it overheat? Does this MB has any chip that stays so hot that you
>> could fry an egg on it? Are your fans performing well? Is your power
>> supply supplying adequate power to your system? Is it properly
>> grounded?

>> If you really intend to go for a new MB and keep the same processor,
>> you could use the tools on the AMD site to check for motherboard
>> compatibility (w/ AMD processors of course). It is a good start. Then
>> perhaps you may check with your preferred hardware store for the
>> availability of brands/models suggested by AMD. I trust they (AMD)
>> won't suggest you a complete piece of crap. Then you could google for
>> instance, [mb brand/model]+linux+compatibility+bug.

>> A new released board might be prone to driver issues with Linux much
>> more than "old" boards. Nevertheless, usually in short time new
>> drivers became available and the issues are solved.

>> It happened to me. Some time ago I bought a nice (just released)
>> motherboard that turned out to be rather incompatible with the Ubuntu
>> install procedures. I  should have googled for it *before*, didn't  :-(
>> . It took me more than a whole weekend to figure how to make that damn
>> thing work with Ubuntu, almost sent it back to the supplier. But in
>> due time new BIOS versions were released, Ubuntu bugs were eliminated
>> and the MBoard is working perfectly well, better and better, and I'm
>> still very pleased with it (for the record it is a XFX 8200 - NVidia
>> chips based MBoard - inexpensive, but very reliable and fast).

>> Making the long story short: Except for plain crap or very peculiar
>> and exquisite pieces of hardware, Linux tend to support  most PC
>> hardware, (eventually) given an adequate amount of time.

>> IMHO, of course.

>> L M Nicolosi, Eng.

Thanks Lucio for your advice. I spent a lot of time looking at various sites
but still none the wiser. Some users have had a lot of problems with the
ASUS M3A board but some had no problems.
Also, looking up compatible motherboards was frustrating. Some good Linux sites
with lots of motherboards listed but most several years old and few for 2010.
I think they should remove any older than 1 year as they wouldn't be available
for purchase.

 >>> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:03:48 +0300

*>>> From: Ioannis Vranos <cppdeveloper at ontelecoms.gr>*

*>>> What is your graphics card? Have you enabled its driver?*

*>>> Also, do you have any sound issues? Do music files/CDs play OK?

*

*Thanks Ioannis for your questions. I have an ASUS graphics card installed.*

*It's a fairly basic one. I don't know the model number as I bought it quite a while ago.*

*I didn't know that I have to enable its driver. Where would one find a linux driver for*

*it,  and how does one enable it?*

*There is no problem with GOS being viewed on the monitor.*

*I haven't worried about sound as this PC is for office work.

Reply to messages after each message.

Regards,

Alan
*