lucid lynx - login screen stuck in a loop

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 22:11:49 UTC 2010

On 03/31/2010 01:00 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> Anyone else seeing this bug after lucid updates yesterday?
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/516520/
>> [lucid lynx - login screen stuck in a loop - SYSTEM BROKEN]
>
> I rebuilt my Lucid install yesterday and do not have any issues.
> However I have had one-iteration loops in the past with Lucid.
>
> Steve Langasek (who is, AFAICT, a hyper-active - in a good sense -
> developer) is considering PAM as a culprit
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/516520/comments/27
>
> Looking at your posted logs, you seem to have run into the samba
> winbind issue that someone had a few days ago
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/516520/comments/35
> (which may or may not be the same problem as other bug posters are
> having). IIRC, the cure was either editing the pam common files by
> hand or running
> dpkg-reconfigure libpam-runtime
>
> I skipped my usual installation of ssh, samba, and nfs when I rebuilt
> Lucid yesterday. Maybe I should install samba and see what happens...

Could be... been trying to troubleshoot some gvfs issues as well, see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libgnome-keyring/+bug/530605
and the one that got merged to 530605:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/532024

Note: on that machine I purged winbind & didn't seem to make any
difference. Also, it was working well (with the exception of the gvfs
issues) prior to yesterday's update.

I've got a test machine that I'm updating from 2.6.32-16-generic to see
if I can replicate.