Dialup in Lucid

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Wed Mar 31 02:47:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:13:53 +1300, chris wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 15:45 +0000, sktsee wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:48:01 +1300, chris wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>> > pppconfig   as follows
>> >
>> > # This optionfile was generated by pppconfig 2.3.18. # #
>> > hide-password
>> > noauth
>> > connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/clear" debug
>> > /dev/ttyUSB0
>> > 115200
>> > defaultroute
>> > noipdefault
>> > user ******
>> > remotename clear
>> > ipparam clear
>> >

>> Do you manually configure your own DNS? If you don't, your pppd options
>> file should contain "usepeerdns" (dynamic dns in pppconfig) so that
>> /etc/ resolv.conf gets updated with the DNS servers of your ISP when
>> you establish a connection.
>>
>> --
>> sktsee
>>

> Which it does.
> I don't have a problem connecting to my isp.  The issue is to get
> evolution /firefox working from the desktop. Even using a terminal to do
> a "sudo apt-get update", doesn't work. What am I missing?
> Cheers Chris

Not sure. It sounds like your modem is dialing out and connecting, you're
getting an ip address and DNS server information from your ISP, yet
applications fail to work over the network. Have you checked your route
table for a correct default gateway? Are there other network interfaces
like an ethernet port on your machine that may be set with a gateway
address? If so, is it configured in network-manager? I usually remove
network-manager and network-manager-gnome and set up any ethernet
interfaces statically. Since network manager doesn't manage dialup modem
connections at all, it typically screws up the route table by setting an
incorrect default gateway for the ethernet interface, overriding whatever
default route the pppd daemon set. Consequently, apps try to send all
network traffic over the wrong interface.

Other than a possible error with the route table which could be caused by
network-manager, and making sure your userid is a member of the dialout
and dip groups, I am at a loss to see what else could be wrong.
Hopefully, if the problem is related to the beta status of Lucid, it will
be fixed by the time of final release.

--
sktsee