[Resolved] Re: [hardy] 2.6.24-27-generic +kernel panic

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 01:00:54 UTC 2010

On 03/30/2010 05:52 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 03/31/2010 04:09 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> Was upgrading a customer's hardy today remotely w/the latest security
>> upgrades&  after the upgrades completed she reported a kernel panic. Had
>> her try recovery mode: same result.
>>
>> Unfortunately her grub is only showing the one kernel (2.6.24-27-generic
>> - (2.6.24-27.68))&  keyboard is not working properly in grub, so I can't
>> get her to edit&  change to -26. She's bringing the system by so I can
>> fix it, but wondered if anyone else has experienced the same.
>
> Had this upgrade, and have not experienced any problem. I am on hardy 64
> bit, kde 3.5.10 though.
>
> Try using grub rescue disk to boot; amend to old kernel to boot and go
> from there.
>
> Regards - Goh Lip

Got it sorted out. Didn't bother looking at the logs to see why the
upgrade from -26 to -27 borked. But I did manage to get in to the
console, purge -27, boot to -26, reinstall -27, update-initramfs, etc.,
etc. All is well again, but I wish I would have had more time to dig in
and find out the reason it screwed up. The only thing that was done for
the upgrade was to use the standard update manger. If I get time later
I'll ssh into the machine & have a look at the logs.