an IM client that's not totally broken?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 18:29:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> On 03/30/2010 11:02 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> So I think it's very wrong of you to call chat apps without your
>> unusual preferences "broken", not to mention downright rude to the
>> developers of Empathy and Pidgin, who have given you their work for
>> nothing.
>
> Relax, take a breath, I am not trying to impose anything on you
> personally. :)
>
> All I want is to be able to configure the IM so that notifications are
> more visible. It should not be the only notification method, it's okay
> even if it's not the default method. Anyone else who wants a more
> discreet notification method should be able to use it.
>
> Finally, you are misinformed, despite your claimed experience with IM
> software. I am not the strange exception, there are plenty of bug
> reports opened with Empathy in Gnome Bugzilla precisely because of the
> broken notification methods. Currently the new notification-related
> reports are marked duplicates to the original report back in June 2009.

I am not in the least agitated, FWIW.

Notification is a very different thing from windows that pop up. In
Ubuntu there's notification via the Ayatana project and libnotify -
it's the small notices at top-right of the screen that appear in
white-on-black from Ubuntu 9.10 or so onwards. Growl provides similar
services on Mac OS X and Snarl on Windows.

But none of these are pop-up windows; none mess around with the
Z-order of windows.

If you want notifications of incoming messages, that's fine, but it's
not what you described.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508