TV on Ubuntu?

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 30 09:15:21 UTC 2010

I wonder if anyone can help me make sense of the various applications,
and their applicability in the UK.

To start with, lets explain my problem.  We have Virgin-Media cable TV
in our house: sometimes my wife will want to watch one channel on the
cable setup with the TV.  At the same time, I'd like to set up my
desktop PC to be able to receive other (cable) channels and record
them. So the first question is: can this be feasibly accomplished, and
if so, which software under Ubuntu is best (ie. easiest) to use, and
what other hardware do I need?

If its not possible to use the cable set up, Freeview or Freesat
reception would be possible, providing the best (ie easiest) software
to use would be available.  As far as hardware is concerned, I've seen
some dongles on sale covering the DVB-T standard, through which I
understand you can pick up Freeview - but what of Freesat?

We do not have an exterior (rooftop) aerial and cannot erect a
satellite dish (by our tenancy agreement) so I'd really like to connect
via the internet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for compatible software and
hardware?

--
Graham Todd