lucid network connection

Laura Conrad lconrad at laymusic.org
Mon Mar 29 15:09:27 UTC 2010

I've never figured out how to tell network-manager that I want to use
the wired connection if it's there, and to only try to connect
wirelessly if the ethernet cable isn't plugged in.

So I install wicd, and tell it what I want.

On lucid, the wired connection is made, but for some reason, when I
boot, the DNS (which should be what the router provides) doesn't
happen.  That is, I can ping the router IP address, but not any sites
on the other side of the router by name.

If I disconnect the wired connection and then reconnect, everything
works OK.

Is there a better workaround than doing this manually?

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I’m at the very peak of my decline.

Leonard Bernstein