Looking For Info On Updating Firefox & Open Office

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 28 03:31:31 UTC 2010

On 03/27/2010 07:34 PM, Nathan Bahn wrote:
> The latest version of Firefox is 3.6.2 and all Ubuntu has is 3.5; same thing
> with Open Office -- the latest version is 3.2 but Ubuntu only has 3.1.
> Where can I find information on how to install (compile?) the latest
> programs into the Linux OS? (seeing as the Ubuntu variants don't have the
> ability to get updates)  And please don't tell me to download 10.04; I have
> absolutely NO *INTENTION* of downloading that version until May or June *at
> the earliest!*

Go to:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html
download the most recent version. Extract it to a home folder
(Places|Home Folder|double-click on the file you just downloaded and
extract). That will create a 'firefox' folder. Navigate to that folder,
double click on 'firefox' and run. Once you are satisfied that Fx is
running 3.6.x, report back & I'll help you add a menu item.