file urls in Ubuntu

christopher.lemire at gmail.com christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 07:45:40 UTC 2010

I thought if I created a hyperlink on Ubuntu Forums with file:///directory/index.html, it would open when clicked like it does in other programs. For example, put this simple command in gnome-terminal:

$ echo file:///usr/share/doc/python/faq/general.html
file:///usr/share/doc/python/faq/general.html

Now if that is clicked on, it will open a new tab of Firefox or whatever is set as the default browser displaying that html file. So I did some googling, and found that it should work in Mozilla. Firefox is made by Mozilla, so how can it be made to work?

This is what I came up with through Google.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/fileurl.html

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0