Ditch evolution already, please!

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Fri Mar 26 19:53:04 UTC 2010

Hi Bazooka Joe,

I agree that EVO is lousy with respect to IMAP.  The whole idea is that
you should be able to work transparent from any number of computer
anywhere, even simultaneously, but a few developers do not satisfy this
idea fully.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:44:54 -0700, Bazooka Joe <fastfish at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Evo has lots of potental and be tied into gnome so tightly it stands
> to be a great tool.  But Evo's IMAP implementation and ubuntu bugs
> make Evo almost useless.
>
> bug: 2 gig max local file size makes pop useless for any power user -
> this bug is several yrs old.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/197290
>
> Evo IMAP from what I understand uses virtual folders.  Spam still
> shows in my IMAP inbox even though Evo shows it moved to junk.  And
> the Junk folder is a local virtual folder and doesn't let me move it
> to IMAP. Same with deleting email and moving. So on my iphone I still
> see all junk and deleted/moved email. Evo developers seem unwilling to
> give you the option to change this behavior.

You might find that in preferences/defaults you can at least set
INBOX/Drafts and INBOX/Sent.
If your mail server or provider would use RBL to stop bad mail, then you
would rarely use any junkbox.

> other annoyances: Automatic Contacts: auto adding email addrs that you
> send to doesn't work.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/486901
>
> So much potential but I have to switch to Thunderbird to stay
productive.

I personally find Seamonky better than Thunderbird, there you can keep
everything on serverbased folder and I find no cach problems as you might
experience with Thunderbird.

For elderly people that I have equipped with Ubuntu, I let them use EVO
due to the great integration though.

--
Carl Friis-Hansen