Can't add new user in lucid

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 19:27:31 UTC 2010

> I have been following this and glad it is explained why I had zero
> problems and Colin had nothing but bad problems. I have no plans to load
> samba since I hate Windows. I will kill my two new users and get back to
> booting right up without a password.

Not only is Samba not Windows; it is Ubuntu's default file-sharing
protocol and it is entirely open source.

Those of us living in the real world (a multi-computer, multi-OS
world) use Samba daily and are very thankful for its existence.

At work, we support 4,700 RHEL boxes and 3,400 Solaris boxes and we
(and some  traders, back- and middle-office staff, and developers) use
Samba to access important shares from our Windows boxes.

Most (if not all) of my moonlighting jobs involve Samba. All the SMEs
where I have worked use Linux almost exclusively for Samba (and some
for Apache intranets, a few for ftp, and fewer still for netatalk).
Samba has allowed Linux to get its foot in the door and show what it
can do in all these SMEs; it is always the first (and often the only)
reason for them to deploy Linux. If they are large enough to maintain
their own external web servers, they then start thinking of using or
start using Apache too.