Can't add new user in lucid

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 26 15:42:14 UTC 2010

On 26 March 2010 12:53, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I seem to have found a bug in lucid but it is so basic that I hesitate
> to report it in case I just being stupid.
>
> I created a new user using System Administration Users and Groups but
> am unable to login as that user.  I get an authentication error.  I
> have tried creating several users and have double checked passwords
> but to no avail.
>
> In auth.log I see
> piglet gdm-session-worker[2554]: pam_winbind(gdm:auth): request
> wbcLogonUser failed: WBC_ERR_AUTH_ERROR, PAM error: PAM_USER_UNKNOWN
> (10), NTSTATUS: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER, Error message was: No such
> user
>
> In addition in what may be a related or separate bug if I try to
> change the password of the user fred using
> sudo passwd fred
> I get
> passwd: System err
> and in auth.log
> Mar 26 12:50:28 piglet sudo:   colinl : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/colinl ;
> USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/passwd fred
> Mar 26 12:50:28 piglet passwd[2666]: pam_winbind(passwd:chauthtok):
> valid_user: wbcGetpwnam gave WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND

I have found it in launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/545864
It is to do with having installed samba.  It only talks about the
change password problem but I guess it is also causing the inability
to login of new users, as it is failing creating the user.

Thanks for the help all.

Colin

Colin