Can't add new user in lucid

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 26 15:03:54 UTC 2010

On 26 March 2010 13:47, Fred Roller <fred at fwrgallery.com> wrote:
> On 03/26/2010 09:21 AM, Colin Law wrote:

>>>         If you need me to try your bug in my Lucid I will try to do what you
>>> did.
>>>

>> That would be helpful, thanks
>>
>> Colin
>>

> created a user and was able to log in.  your password is only 4
> characters long.  before there used to be a requirement for at least 6
> characters (i think) and the bug seems to be that is let you create the
> user with the short password and as a consequence another sub system may
> be confused.  have you tried lengthening the password to >6 characters?
> just a thought.

In case it is a factor I tried with a longer user name testtest with
the testtest for password and still unable to login as the new user.

I also tried adding a user in the terminal and got:

$ sudo adduser testing
[sudo] password for colinl:
Adding user `testing' ...
Adding new group `testing' (1005) ...
Adding new user `testing' (1005) with group `testing' ...
Creating home directory `/home/testing' ...
Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
passwd: System error
passwd: password unchanged
Try again? [y/N]

If no-one else is seeing this I wonder what is the issue with my setup.

I will try booting off live CD and adding user

Colin